Skip to main content

Raven Plaque: Day 4 of 31 Days


Hello! It is Day    of the 31 Days of Halloween, and today I have a tutorial that I created for Imagine. I really enjoy working with wood so I created a  raven plaque that can be hung on the wall or on a door. Keep in mind, that you can use any combination of images you'd like. If you're not a fan of crows, (gasp!) you can always use cats, flowers, stars, etc. I'm entering this plaque on the latest Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: "A Walk on the Dark Side."

I used a small unfinished wooden plaque for this project. You can get these at any craft and hobby store. Mine is about 3" x 4." 

Using a 3/8" Stencil Brush, I applied the brown shade that is in the VersaCraft Velvet palette. VersaCraft ink is fantastic for using on things that go way beyond paper. It's great on fabric, for example. 

After the brown ink dried, I swiped Real Black (in the same palette) on the wood, following the grain to bring out the texture. I focused a bit more heavily on the edges to make the piece appear aged. 

Next I taped down my stencil. You'll notice that the tape I used has been used before. I reuse my tape to minimize the stickiness of it, so that nothing peels up when I remove it. I applied more Real Black VersaCraft ink, this time to the crows, with my stencil brush. 

Next I stamped my  raven skull, using the full sized pad of Real Black VersaCraft. I had it on hand already, so that just made it easier to stamp, since the image is so large. This would have been the perfect time to have a stamping tool like the MISTI. I would have liked to have restamped the image, but since it is a cling stamp, it's a little tricky to do, and I didn't want to mess up what I have done so far. 

After that, I stamped my "Nevermore" sentiment with VersaCraft. Again, I would have loved to re-ink it, but that would have been a catastrophe for sure. I really need to get one of those stamp platforms it seems....and that's not something I ever thought that I would want. 

I felt that the piece needed some more of....something....so I splattered some Wedding Dress irRESISTables with a liner brush, as well as some Golden Glitz Delicata ink. It added just enough texture and shine. Then I simply drilled two holes at the top and added some gold colored wire to hang it with. 


I hope you'll give VersaCraft ink a try if you haven't already. The colors are rich and opaque, and it is so much fun to experiment on other surfaces! Please be sure to visit the rest of the Wicked Bloggers, listed below. Thanks for stopping by. Have an fangtastic day! 

Supplies:
Imagine:
VersaCraft 12 Color Ink Pad: Velvet
VersaCraft: Real Black
irRESISTable: Wedding Dress
Delicata Reinker: Golden Glitz

Other:
Stampendous:
3/8" Stencil Brush
ASCRS10: Andy Skinner Birds and Bones stamp set
DWLL432: Row of Crows Stencil
SSH57: Jumbo Acrylic Stamp Handle

Smeared Ink: Nevermore Stamp
Small Wood Plaque
Liner Brush


Terra
Black Dragon
Susan
LeighSBDesigns
Lyneen
Stampendous Stamps
Lost Coast Designs/Carmen's Veranda
Tee
Alison (that's me!)
Sarah
Nan
Airless Chambers
Jessica
Kat
Shell

Comments

Tink said…
I just Love this!
ionabunny said…
What a fun piece. Love the bird skull. Hugz
Mary Holshouser said…
The raven's skull is fangtastic.
Love all of the birds sitting
there looking at it - wondering
if they're next.
Wonderful plaque.
thanks for sharing.
Denise Bryant said…
Great job on the plaque!
Lyneen said…
I LOVE the STENCIL~~~ and NEVERMORE! What a great plaque! Thanks for sharing!
Tee said…
I love this project! It turned out great!
Unknown said…

So pretty Alison! Love it!
I might just have to try VersaCraft inks after seeing this.
I totally understand about the stamping and think I need to invest in a stamping tool too.
Totally wicked cool, love everything from the background to your choice of images!
Ohhhh wow! This is plaque-tastic! It has those great traditional Halloween colors, yet it is totally original. As a lit nerd, I adore the Poe vibe and thought it was so cool how you combined the images of crows with that wicked yet elegant skull. The combo of living and dead had my geeky literary mind soaring with all sorts of analogies and philosophies!! I also adore the last touch of the Wedding Dress splatter-dots. This is genius on so many levels and I'm so glad you shared your skills with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...