Skip to main content

Masking with Sugar Skulls

Hello! Today I am sharing a few cards with you that all feature the Sugar Skulls stamp and die set from Stampendous. I recently started doing "live" videos on my personal Facebook page, and I decided to teach my friends how to use "masking" on cards. I decided to post the video to my YouTube Channel. Please click HERE if you'd like to check it out. This Sugar Skull stamp is perfect because it has such clean lines.

I used VersaFine Clair ink in Nocturne for all of my stamping, and all of the coloring was done with Memento Markers, both from Imagine. On this first card, I also used a sentiment from Andy Skinner's set "Unexplained," as well as a few sequins from Doodles Paper Playground's Flower Power Sparkle Blend.

The next card adds stenciling, and I used the Design I Beam, which makes for a graphic background against the organic style of the skull and roses. I used Desert Sand Memento Ink for the stenciling.
        

I wish I moved that rose on the left in a little, but it's not terrible. I opted to not put any additional embellishments on this card. 

For all of my card bases, I used a gray 110lb cardstock from Recollections. 


My 3rd card is the one I did mostly during the "live." No roses this time, but instead, a row of Sugar Skulls. I also opted to use another stencil. This time, it was the Crusade Stencil  and I inked it with Turquoise Gem VeraMagic ink. 


I chose to add a few sequins to this card to add a bit of shine. I dipped into the Mermaid Scales Sparkle Blend this time. The colors were perfect.

Another reason I like these Sugar Skulls is because coloring them is fast, and you can get a lot of variation between them depending on how you color the flowers.

Below is a look at all 3 cards that I created using just the one stamp set as a main focus. I really enjoyed doing this live video, and I look forward to doing more. If you are interested in seeing them when I start doing them more publicly, please visit my page Sky Princess Designs on Facebook.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Stampendous said…
This is gorgeous, Alison! Super love what you've done here, can't wait to hop over to Facebook and see your video! Thanks for sharing this great stamp set and this super technique!
sharon g said…
I really like these. The possibilities for changing them is endless. I love the colors you chose!!!!
McStamper said…
What a fabulous card. Love the pretty colors you used.
Denise Bryant said…
Love your Sugar Skull cards!

Popular posts from this blog

House Mouse Hop: Nurse Mouse

Hello! I am excited to bring you my first of two posts today. This post is for the House Mouse & Friends Blog Hop. My second will be for Aurora Wings. You can click HERE to see that post. But don't leave yet! Read to the bottom of my post to find out how you can have a shot at winningMy House Mouse project features the adorable Nurse Mouse stamp. My full instructions and supply list is below.
Supplies:
Stampendous:
HMP62: Nurse Mouse
DWLX7026: Chevron Stencil
STF082: VersaFine Onyx Black Ink

Others:
My Colors Cardstock: Ocean Side
Zig Clean Color Markers: 010, 020, 024, 028, 029, 050, 052, 064, 065, 069, 071, 072, 090, 091, 092, 094, 095, 096, 098, 222, 260, 302, 900, 901, 902
Imagine: Silver irRESISTable Pico Embellisher, StazOn White Opaque, Sponge Dauber
Canson Mixed Media Cardstock
Ranger: Water Brush
Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry Glue
Red Cardstock: unknown
Directions:
1. Stamp the image with VersaFine on to Mixed Media paper. This paper holds water well, so since I used a water brush…

Holiday Spirit: Aurora Wings Challenge #73

Seasons Greetings! Today I have a project for the latest Aurora Wings Challenge which is "Holiday Spirit." I decided to take the theme as a two-fer. Not only is this a holiday card, but the "spirits" are flowing too.

I used the Wine Sprite for my card, and gave her a Merlot look. I colored her with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers. Here's a closeup.

I found a lovely paper in my stash from Wild Rose Studio from their Holly Lane collection. For my sentiment, I had some pretty red glitter cardstock from DCWV that I die cut with an old alphabet set from QuicKutz. I also added some sequins from a few different Sparkle Blends from Doodles Paper Playground. The sequins and the sentiment were all glued on with On Point Glue from Imagine.

On my card base, I inked the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink, and then Peeled Paint Distress Ink. After I adhered my background to my base, I added Rock Candy Stickles to the edges. This gave just a touch of sparkle.

So &quo…

Windowrama and Helebore

Hello! The January 2019 catalog from Stampendous is officially out! You are going to love the new products, especially the new die set that the team is featuring this week. It's called the Windorama Die Set and it is so versatile and fun! I will be suing this die set quite a bit! I am also using some of the newest stamps, including the Small Hellebore. I love hellebore flowers... I have some growing in my garden. I love their deep and unusual colors, which I tried to capture in my project for today. My full instructions are below.
Supplies:
Stampendous:
RS-Q241: Small Hellebore
DCP1012: Windowrama Die Set
6CR011: Dahlia Collage
SSC1308: Script Sayings
DP111: Detail Black Embossing Powder

Other:
Bazzill: Parrot
Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers: 040, 046, 047, 053, 082, 090, 095
Imagine: VersaMark, Sweet Plum Memento Ink, VersaFine Clair Ink in Nocturne
Lavender and green cardstock
Scrapbook Adhesives: EZ Runner
Posca Pen: White
Canson Mixed Media XL

Directions:
1. Stamp the Hellebore image…