Skip to main content

Masking with Sugar Skulls

Hello! Today I am sharing a few cards with you that all feature the Sugar Skulls stamp and die set from Stampendous. I recently started doing "live" videos on my personal Facebook page, and I decided to teach my friends how to use "masking" on cards. I decided to post the video to my YouTube Channel. Please click HERE if you'd like to check it out. This Sugar Skull stamp is perfect because it has such clean lines.

I used VersaFine Clair ink in Nocturne for all of my stamping, and all of the coloring was done with Memento Markers, both from Imagine. On this first card, I also used a sentiment from Andy Skinner's set "Unexplained," as well as a few sequins from Doodles Paper Playground's Flower Power Sparkle Blend.

The next card adds stenciling, and I used the Design I Beam, which makes for a graphic background against the organic style of the skull and roses. I used Desert Sand Memento Ink for the stenciling.
        

I wish I moved that rose on the left in a little, but it's not terrible. I opted to not put any additional embellishments on this card. 

For all of my card bases, I used a gray 110lb cardstock from Recollections. 


My 3rd card is the one I did mostly during the "live." No roses this time, but instead, a row of Sugar Skulls. I also opted to use another stencil. This time, it was the Crusade Stencil  and I inked it with Turquoise Gem VeraMagic ink. 


I chose to add a few sequins to this card to add a bit of shine. I dipped into the Mermaid Scales Sparkle Blend this time. The colors were perfect.

Another reason I like these Sugar Skulls is because coloring them is fast, and you can get a lot of variation between them depending on how you color the flowers.

Below is a look at all 3 cards that I created using just the one stamp set as a main focus. I really enjoyed doing this live video, and I look forward to doing more. If you are interested in seeing them when I start doing them more publicly, please visit my page Sky Princess Designs on Facebook.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Stampendous said…
This is gorgeous, Alison! Super love what you've done here, can't wait to hop over to Facebook and see your video! Thanks for sharing this great stamp set and this super technique!
sharon g said…
I really like these. The possibilities for changing them is endless. I love the colors you chose!!!!
McStamper said…
What a fabulous card. Love the pretty colors you used.
Denise Bryant said…
Love your Sugar Skull cards!

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...