Skip to main content

TTIC #44: It’s BOOKS That Brought us Together!

Hello again and welcome to another awesome Twilight Tuesday Inspiration Challenge! This week our challenge was created by Rebecca, and she honed in on a topic that goes way beyond Twilight! She writes:

Reading the Twilight saga books is what brought us all together …. so this week is really dedicated to books. I hadn’t stayed up all night reading anything in a very long time, yet that was exactly what I did with the books – I couldn’t put them down! Many of you have shared similar stories with me on that topic. Each of the books have their own sub-theme throughout the series. Wuthering Heights is discussed many times in Eclipse, in fact – bookstores have been reporting that their sales of Wuthering Heights were through the roof after Eclipse came out.

Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily BrontĂ«’s Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Meyer also states that Orson Scott Card and L. M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables series are a big influence on her writing. (quote from Meridian Magazine: http://www.meridianmagazine.com/books/080806vampire.html)

Craft Challenge: Make any project that celebrates your favorite book! It can be a project about a book, for a book, inspired by a book title or cover.

Comment Challenge: Which novel would you put in Bella’s hands (classic or contemporary) for her to read? Did Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse or Breaking Dawn inspire you to read (or re-read) any of the classics? Do you compare Edward and Bella to that of Wuthering Heights Heathcliff and Cathy?

So, I couldn’t pick a favorite book. There are too many that I love. Yeah, Twilight is up there, but so is the Black Dagger Brotherhood (it’s a crazy series!), A Wrinkle in Time, The Death Gate Cycle, plus a ton of non fiction books that I love. Oh, and I have a huge list of children’s books I love too! So, how could I pick just one??? So, I decided to make a project that just celebrates my love of books as a whole.

Bella's Lullaby 021 I made a book mark! I used a big Basic Grey chipboard tag, painted it white, and then sprayed the heck out of it with Glimmer Mist. I used Walnut Gold over the whole thing, put down Tattered Angels’ new Spider Web Screen, then sprayed their new Jack O’ Lantern Mist followed by their new Haunted Shadows Mist. Next, I edged the tag with Walnut Stain and Black Soot Distress Ink, stamped my book stamp (from Stampers Anonymous) in black and wrote my title; “Captured By Books.” Ooh, and because this challenge is from Rebecca, I HAD to add some fantastic fibers as a tassel, since she uses fibers a lot too. Ta Da! My book mark. Here’s a close up of the Glimmer Mist:

Bella's Lullaby 020 See how it sparkles?!?

Bella's Lullaby 019 You can see a lot of the glimmer from this angle. I rubbed the caption a bit before it dried too, so it wasn’t so harsh. I liked it a little smudged.

So now it’s time for you to check out te rest of the Design Team’s projects… Then you can make one of your own!

Beth ~ Dani ~ Eve ~ Jen ~ Julie ~ Margie ~ Rebecca ~ Tonya

with Guest Designers:

Donna ~ Jacquie ~ Erica (filling in for Margie)

Julie is off this week. Can’t wait to see what YOU create!

Comments

TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY AMAZING PROJECT!!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT (and yes, I'm shouting so you can hear me all the way from Florida!).
ellepaulette said…
Perfect! Love all the detail you put into it. Great job!!! :)
Jacqueline said…
This is GORGEOUS Ali!! LOVE the sparkle/shimmer! The fibers are a perfect touch! I LOVE wrinkle in time too! classic! You did a wonderful job! hugs!
Erica said…
That is so cool. I love the words and the gold mist. Fantastic job!
Eve said…
That is so cool...I LOVE it. Perfect for this challenge. The sparkle is great......
Jen Shults said…
This is awesome Alison!!! I love it. A Wrinkle in Time is such a fave of mine too! I have my students listen to it on audio book while they work. :D
Unknown said…
Oh Ali...WOW this is just awesome! All the work you have put into it and it turned out just perfect!!...I love evrything about it! Fantastic job sweetie...YOU ROCK! Xx
This is sooo cool! I love it! and that Shimmerz stuff is so perfect for it :)

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...