Skip to main content

Day 6 of 31- Painted Slate

Welcome to Day 6 of the Smeared & Smudged 31 Days of Halloween! I have something totally different from what I have been posting thus far. A friend of mine is stenciling on slates for an upcoming fundraiser for a local school. She had never stenciled before, so I told her I would show her how. She asked if I could work some magic on a few of the slates, so of course, not only did I say yes, but I took it a step further than just stenciling, I stamped on the slate too!

I have these fantastic stencils and coordinating stamps from Tattered Angels that I thought would be really cool on the slate. They are big! The pumpkin stamp is about 4 or 5 inches. I stenciled the background by using the stencil and acrylic paint. Then I stamped the image with Versa Craft. I only stamped the web. And I had lettered the "boo."

The "boo" is a deep purple, though it's hard to tell here. t still needs to be sealed and have it's leather cord added, but my friend will be taking care of that part. I like how the slate came out....but I am thinking it still needs something. Perhaps some dry brushing around the edges to show off the texture? I think it needs something. What do you think??? I would love your opinion! Be sure to visit the rest of the Wicked Bloggers, all listed in my sidebar. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Matney said…
ohh, how fun and yes just at those opportunities! Humm...hard to suggest anything because I am not sure of how it would look on the slate. Sorry not very helpful. Love how bright the pumpkin is and yes I can see the purple after you mentioned it. Fab project!
Lyneen said…
Really like the stenciling on slate... love the pumpkin image. Good luck with the fundraiser!
Laura S Reading said…
I am thinking I wish that craft show was near me!
I am looking forward to holiday charity shows in my area.
How about a slight bling of glitter in the spider web?
DonnaMundinger said…
I think ist's fabulous just the way it is, Kristy. But a little dry brushing wouldn't hurt it, I expect. Such a cool idea. xxD
ldfdesign said…
Maybe add some silver flakes into the paint before you dry brush, like really small silver flakes. Going by the color on my computer, light silver flaking would look good with the color of the slate. You did a great job with the slate!
maureenjscott said…
Wow!!! this is such a great idea! Best wishes for the fundraiser! love the stamping and the 'boo'! mo x
silvia said…
LOOOOVE the pumpkin!!
Sharon Sahl said…
Awesome! The texture of the slate is so nice, I'd hate to hide much of it but you should try the dry brushing to see if you like it - acrylics can be removed, right?
CarlaKH said…
so cool...love the texture...I can't think of anything to add to it...maybe a bow at the top or some ribbon ??? Its great the way it is!
What fun! Makes a neat shingle to hang up outside!
Emily Thubbron said…
I think it's perfect. Sometimes less is more. I didn't know you could stamp on slate. Go figure.
KC said…
this is so cool! I want to decorate some slate...I'd have to copy you exact though...and I don't think it needs anything else...I guess you could add a spider to the web...that that may make it to 3-d and I love the one dimension of it all.
Wendy said…
Wow...you did a great job painting on the slate. I would be intimidated by the surface. That will look so great hanging on a front door, etc.
Steph said…
Wow, so cool. Beautiful project! I think it looks great as is.

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...