Skip to main content

Found Objects: DecoArt & Stampendous Finale


Welcome to the last day of the DecoArt ad Stampendous Blog Hop. I am really excited about my project for today. It's something I've wanted to try for a long time, but never did. And now, I absolutely know I will want to make more! To get all the details on the hop, including prize info, please head over to the Stampendous! Blog.

Supplies:
Stampendous:
ASCRS06: Andy Skinner Toxic Cling Set (Scratch stamp)
DWLJ883: Multiple Tile Grid Metal Stencil
ASCRS04: Andy Skinner Curiosity Stamp Set (Scroll stamps)
STF082: Onyx Black VersaFine Ink

DecoArt:
White Gesso
Texture Sand Paste
Texture Paste
Tinting Base
Media Fluid Acrylics in: Prussian Blue Hue, Quinacridone Magenta, Green Gold, Primary Yellow, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Paynes Gray, Silver Metallic, Quinacridone Gold, Titanium White
Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide
Mister in Black

Others:
Random found objects
Beacon Adhesives: Quick Grip Contact Cement
Artist's Loft: 8x10 Canvas Board


I started off by just laying my assorted found objects on to my canvas. When I had an arrangement that I liked, I adhered them to the canvas with the Quick Grip Contact Cement. It dires quickly, so I then went over the objects with Gesso.

Then I started to play with some Modeling Paste, a stencil and stamps. I laid the Tile Grid stencil down and used a palette knife to apply the paste on top of the grid. I wasn't too careful with it and kept it textured rather than very smooth. Then I spread some paste around the poker chip and little straws (those thin pink lines). I heat set the paste a little and pressed the Andy Skinner scroll stamps into the paste. I also went around the entire edge of the canvas board with Texture Sand Paste. I let this dry overnight.

Next, I mixed some Prussian Blue Hue with Tinting Base to lighten up the color and help it spread further. I applied it to the found objects and slightly beyond. Then I went in with Quinacridone Magenta, blending it a bit with the Prussian Blue Hue. I followed that with Green Gold. The color wasn't as strong as I wanted because of it's transparency, so I added some Primary Yellow and Cobalt Turquoise Hue.

After the paint dried, I used Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide on top of the green areas to dull it down. I made a wash of Paynes Gray as well as a wash of Prussian Blue Hue and applied them to the blue areas to create depth.


Next I applied Metallic Silver all over, but I worked in small areas. I didn't want the silver to be too heavy, so I kept a water spritzer nearby and misted some areas and then dabbed off the excess with a paper towel. This gave a nice texture to the paint. I used some dry brushing techniques on the found objects too.

After the silver dried, I added Quinacridone Gold by dry brushing it to the high points of the foun objects and the paste. I took my time with this to make sure it wasn't too heavy or too light in any areas.

I opened my Black Mister bottle and tapped the straw to get a nice splatter all over the canvas. Next, I used Onyx Black VersaFine with the Scratch Andy Skinner stamp in random areas all round the canvas. I felt it needed something more, so I dipped a small brush into Titanium White fluid acrylic and splattered it all over.

When I look back at the photos, it's hard to believe how vibrant the colors were originally! I like the dulled down metallic look of them now.

Above you can really see the dimension of my found objects.

 


I loved making this canvas, and my kids are inspired to make some now too. This was a lot of fun, and I look forward to experimenting more with these amazing paints and mediums. Thank you so much to DecoArt Media for supplying us with these fantastic products. Please be sure to visit the rest of the folks in the hop today. They are all listed below. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Stampendous Blog

Pam Bray

Jamie Martin

Louise Healy

Asia King

Janelle Stollfus

Lea Fritts

Alison Heikkila (that's me)

DecoArt Blog

Comments

Unknown said…
I love the metallic look of this art. It's really amazing how the brilliant background toned down so nicely. Beautiful!
Jean said…
Wow - so very cool! Love how you did this!
JPScraps said…
This is an amazing canvas! LOVE! I've been wanting to try this technique too. :)
sharon g said…
Wow, this is creepy cool!!!!!!!
Mary Holshouser said…
A fantastic piece.
the patina on the hand
makes it look like metal.
thanks for the tutorial.
Have to try this one.
thanks for sharing.
Gerrie Johnnic said…
No way! I can't believe how you worked this pile of "stuff" into a fabulous piece of art!!! Way, way impressed GF! Love what you did.
Amazing colors. Thanks for the inspiration
Becca Yahrling said…
I love the hand! OMG, I love this canvas. It's amazing and gorgeous.
I love mixed media! It's so fun to transform one thing into a totally new thing.
Amy Martin said…
Oh, I'm so loving this. Love all your lil pieces.. it's one of my favorite things to do is collect pieces for my canvases... Things you wouldn't even think would go together seem to work perfectly as this did. Amazing job!!!
Jackie P said…
I just love the way this piece of art came together!! This is so stunning! I can't wait to try this!
Jackie PN said…
Wow Alison!! Too cool! Love your color palette!!
Jackie ")
Sabrina said…
OMG!!!! Stunning, Amazing, Beautiful and absolutely gorgeous!!

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...