Skip to main content

Embossed Earrings



I love texture. I love feeling the different tactile differences that things have, especially in art. The use of dimensional objects in art always intrigues me, as well as taking things that are flat and have no texture, and altering them in some way to give it life. Today, I have a pair of earrings that I created using Imagine's Sheet Metal, and you'll get to see how to take the small, flat square to something really fun and personal.


1. I went through the Sampler Pack of Sheet Metal, as well as my embossing folders and I chose a cool skull with wings to go on the square pieces.


2. Remove the blue coating on the Sheet Metal and position the piece where you want it in the embossing folder. Using a border made it pretty simple. You can tape the Sheet Metal down with some washi tape if you are worried it's going to move, but I didn't do that. I'm really livin' on the edge!

3. Run the folder and sheet metal through the Sizzix Big Shot machine, using the multi-purpose platform with both tabs open. Repeat for the second earring.






4. Apply Royal Purple StazOn ink to the Sheet metal. You can do this 2 ways. Please see photos above to decide which is best for you. The 1st photo is a "cleaner" application. But both work very well.

5. Once you've applied Royal Purple to both pieces, apply a layer of GlazOn. I applied it pretty thick. The directions call for a thin layer, but I was hoping to get a bit of a texture from the glaze, and that's just what happened. Allow for extra drying time if you apply GlazOn thickly. You can see the almost wrinkly texture in the photo below. I think this makes it look a little older, which I like.

6. After the GlazOn is dry, apply some Spiced Chai StazOn to the raised surfaces of the Sheet Metal. Don't overdo it. You don't want to hide the Royal Purple, but you want to age the piece a little with the Spiced Chai.

7. Now you can play with beads! I chose beads that had varying shapes and textures, to add more interest to the earrings.

8. Using 2 sets of pliers (I use a round nose and a needle nose), open a jump ring side ways. Meaning, don't pull the jump ring apart like a mouth. Instead, swing the ends side to side. This keeps the circle intact when you go to close it again. Loop an eye pin and one of the Sheet Metal Squares on to the jump ring, and carefully close it back up.

9. Add your beads to the eye pin and create a loop at the top. Open a second jump ring, add the ear wire and the completed eye pin of beads. Close the jump ring up.

Now you've got a fun, and surprisingly lightweight, pair of earrings to show off!

Supplies:
Imagine:
Sheet Metal
StazOn: Royal Purple and Spiced Chai
GlazOn: Original

Other:
Cuttlebug: Haunted Damask Border Embossing Folder
Sizzix: Big Shot Machine
Fire Mountain Gems: Ear Wires, Jump Rings, Eye Pins, Branch Beads
Michaels: Beads

Skill Level: Intermediate (because of the use of jump rings and eye pins)
Time to Complete: About 20 minutes, plus drying time

Comments

Creepy Glowbugg said…
Ack!! Love, love, love! How do I not have that embossing folder??

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...