Skip to main content

Found Objects: DecoArt & Stampendous Finale


Welcome to the last day of the DecoArt ad Stampendous Blog Hop. I am really excited about my project for today. It's something I've wanted to try for a long time, but never did. And now, I absolutely know I will want to make more! To get all the details on the hop, including prize info, please head over to the Stampendous! Blog.

Supplies:
Stampendous:
ASCRS06: Andy Skinner Toxic Cling Set (Scratch stamp)
DWLJ883: Multiple Tile Grid Metal Stencil
ASCRS04: Andy Skinner Curiosity Stamp Set (Scroll stamps)
STF082: Onyx Black VersaFine Ink

DecoArt:
White Gesso
Texture Sand Paste
Texture Paste
Tinting Base
Media Fluid Acrylics in: Prussian Blue Hue, Quinacridone Magenta, Green Gold, Primary Yellow, Cobalt Turquoise Hue, Paynes Gray, Silver Metallic, Quinacridone Gold, Titanium White
Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide
Mister in Black

Others:
Random found objects
Beacon Adhesives: Quick Grip Contact Cement
Artist's Loft: 8x10 Canvas Board


I started off by just laying my assorted found objects on to my canvas. When I had an arrangement that I liked, I adhered them to the canvas with the Quick Grip Contact Cement. It dires quickly, so I then went over the objects with Gesso.

Then I started to play with some Modeling Paste, a stencil and stamps. I laid the Tile Grid stencil down and used a palette knife to apply the paste on top of the grid. I wasn't too careful with it and kept it textured rather than very smooth. Then I spread some paste around the poker chip and little straws (those thin pink lines). I heat set the paste a little and pressed the Andy Skinner scroll stamps into the paste. I also went around the entire edge of the canvas board with Texture Sand Paste. I let this dry overnight.

Next, I mixed some Prussian Blue Hue with Tinting Base to lighten up the color and help it spread further. I applied it to the found objects and slightly beyond. Then I went in with Quinacridone Magenta, blending it a bit with the Prussian Blue Hue. I followed that with Green Gold. The color wasn't as strong as I wanted because of it's transparency, so I added some Primary Yellow and Cobalt Turquoise Hue.

After the paint dried, I used Antiquing Cream in English Red Oxide on top of the green areas to dull it down. I made a wash of Paynes Gray as well as a wash of Prussian Blue Hue and applied them to the blue areas to create depth.


Next I applied Metallic Silver all over, but I worked in small areas. I didn't want the silver to be too heavy, so I kept a water spritzer nearby and misted some areas and then dabbed off the excess with a paper towel. This gave a nice texture to the paint. I used some dry brushing techniques on the found objects too.

After the silver dried, I added Quinacridone Gold by dry brushing it to the high points of the foun objects and the paste. I took my time with this to make sure it wasn't too heavy or too light in any areas.

I opened my Black Mister bottle and tapped the straw to get a nice splatter all over the canvas. Next, I used Onyx Black VersaFine with the Scratch Andy Skinner stamp in random areas all round the canvas. I felt it needed something more, so I dipped a small brush into Titanium White fluid acrylic and splattered it all over.

When I look back at the photos, it's hard to believe how vibrant the colors were originally! I like the dulled down metallic look of them now.

Above you can really see the dimension of my found objects.

 


I loved making this canvas, and my kids are inspired to make some now too. This was a lot of fun, and I look forward to experimenting more with these amazing paints and mediums. Thank you so much to DecoArt Media for supplying us with these fantastic products. Please be sure to visit the rest of the folks in the hop today. They are all listed below. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Stampendous Blog

Pam Bray

Jamie Martin

Louise Healy

Asia King

Janelle Stollfus

Lea Fritts

Alison Heikkila (that's me)

DecoArt Blog

Comments

Unknown said…
I love the metallic look of this art. It's really amazing how the brilliant background toned down so nicely. Beautiful!
Jean said…
Wow - so very cool! Love how you did this!
JPScraps said…
This is an amazing canvas! LOVE! I've been wanting to try this technique too. :)
sharon g said…
Wow, this is creepy cool!!!!!!!
Mary Holshouser said…
A fantastic piece.
the patina on the hand
makes it look like metal.
thanks for the tutorial.
Have to try this one.
thanks for sharing.
Gerrie Johnnic said…
No way! I can't believe how you worked this pile of "stuff" into a fabulous piece of art!!! Way, way impressed GF! Love what you did.
Amazing colors. Thanks for the inspiration
Becca Yahrling said…
I love the hand! OMG, I love this canvas. It's amazing and gorgeous.
I love mixed media! It's so fun to transform one thing into a totally new thing.
Amy Martin said…
Oh, I'm so loving this. Love all your lil pieces.. it's one of my favorite things to do is collect pieces for my canvases... Things you wouldn't even think would go together seem to work perfectly as this did. Amazing job!!!
Jackie P said…
I just love the way this piece of art came together!! This is so stunning! I can't wait to try this!
Jackie PN said…
Wow Alison!! Too cool! Love your color palette!!
Jackie ")
Sabrina said…
OMG!!!! Stunning, Amazing, Beautiful and absolutely gorgeous!!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July with Imagine Crafts & Stencil Girl!

Hello! Have you heard? The Imagine AIRs have been hopping with Stencil Girl! If you have been here before, you know I loooove me some stencils, so this collaboration was very exciting for me! The teams are hopping for 3 consecutive Saturdays, and this is week 2. I have the entire list of hop links at the bottom of the post. Be sure you don't miss anyone! I decided to to create an extra large gift tag with my new stencils. Using red cardstock, I taped down the Journal Texture #8 Stencil  and inked it up with Golden Glitz Delicata ink . I promise you, this is the BEST gold ink you will ever use! The Journal stamp only has 2 diamonds on it (it's a 4x4" stencil), so after I inked up the first pair, I moved over the stencil, lined it up, and inked again. Next I wanted to do something textural with the Urban Insiders Star . So I took some evergreen cardstock, taped down the star, and slathered on some yummy Iridescent Green Creative Medium . After the medium dried, I ga

Our Favorites: ADfD Blog Hop

***Sorry for the late posting....Blogger doesn't always play nice! Today is the first day of our  ADFD Blog Hop  - a celebration of all of the beautiful images Tammy has created over the years. As a special surprise for Tammy, we have a combination of current and former DT members participating in the hop. Her inspiring art and generous heart have touched us all. We want to take a moment to show our gratitude and thank Tammy for the blessings and joys we have received as members of the ADFD DT. Our theme is “A Collection of ADFD Favorites” - so each DT member’s blog you visit will share something she has created with one of her favorite ADFD images.  The hop has   hidden prizes  - a commenter from each hidden prize stop will win a choice of one image from the ADFD Shop ! You won’t know where the prizes are hidden, so be sure to leave a comment at each stop of the Hop!  Our Blog Hop will run from 7:00 a.m. eastern standard time on Saturday, February 25, 2017 until 9:00 p.m. eas

Remembering Aletha

Greetings, Friends. This post today is part of a very special blog hop. We are celebrating the life of an amazingly talented artist and friend. The crafting community lost Aletha Jane Williams on May 5, 2019. Those of us that worked with her on Design Teams or on Challenge Blogs all agree that she was one of the sweetest and most talented women we knew. We are not here to mourn her loss though. This hop is happening in conjunction with a very special celebration of her life and her art that her husband Bob is holding in her home city of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Please join us in honoring our incredibly creative friend Aletha . My card features the "Remembering Aletha" Sprite, which Mitzi (owner and artist of Aurora Wings ) created specifically for this hop. She is generously giving the digi away to all, over on her blog. This sweet Sprite looks so much like Aletha, and I know she would have been honored. If you download this digi for yourself, please be sure to give a huge "