Skip to main content

Arachnophobia: Day 23 of 31 Days of Halloween

Many of you know that I hate spiders. You could say that I do actually have arachnophobia. Yeah, yeah…they’re great for the environment and all that…but so are BATS! I would SO much rather have bats about than spiders! Blech!

But. When I saw this month’s Oh! The Horror Challenge on Smeared & Smudged, I was instantly inspired. Take a peek-see…

Arachnophobia_dvd_film_cover

Check out that stunning sky! Those pretty trees! That single spider dropping from it’s elegant web. How could you not be inspired by this? Originally, I was just gonna use the sky as inspiration…but then I remembered this way cool tree that I have…and then oh! That nasty (but totally perfect!) spider stamp that I have (hey, it came in a set!). I went very literal with my card…and I think it’s rad.

Arachnophobia-1

The color is much richer in person. It really follows the colors of the poster. I stamped my tree (Stampers Anonymous) first, then I stamped my spiders (Inkadinkado). I embossed the images in black. Then I started to play with my beloved chalk. Really folks, if you don’t have any chalk…you should really invest in some! I started with the pink and worked my way up the card. I used 4 colors and blended them really well. But the chalk leaves the embossed image…well…chalky. I tried using my eraser (very gingerly) but that was a pain in the ass, so I decided to re heat it just a tiny bit. It re glossed the powder and looks fab again. You just need to remember that if you try this, to not heat it too much. Otherwise, the powder will melt into the paper and might ruin the look of your piece.

Arachnophobia-2

Here you can see the sheen of the embossing powder. I hafta say, I really do like this spider image. The way they swirl around, is actually pretty cool.

This card is only one layer! I haven’t made a single layer card in ages! And it only took my about 10 minutes! I am really pleased with it.

I hope you check out this and some of the other challenges at Smeared & Smudged. Each month we have several amazing challenges you can play along with. And of course, there are always prizes to be won! So come and visit the S&S Forum! And be sure to visit the rest of the Wicked Bloggers, posted on my sidebar. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

AnItA mArIe said…
that is way kool Alison love the stamp and the background rocks girl,i love it...hugz Anita
Danielle said…
This is really stunning. Your work is always so beautiful, even if there is a spider in it!
ldfdesign said…
very gorgous!!! the stamp is awesome and the chalking is perfection!
Shelley said…
that is really gorgeous. the images are beautiful together.
DonnaMundinger said…
Saw this on the forum and WOW! It's truly beautiful! Thought you used a brayer. Chalk, eh? VERY cool! xxD
Lynette said…
Love it when you get to creating and one thing leads to another. The chalk work is awesome, I've never tried it. I may have to get brave. LOL
Steph said…
Spooktacular! Love how you created the background, I have chalks but never accomplished something like this. That spder stamp is fab, great job!
~Lady B~ said…
Love this! Awesome colors! The background sets the perfect stage for that cool image!
Stitchinwitch said…
So elegant, love the background and I have really got to get that spider stamp
This is so beautiful. I love the way you have created that sky. The embossing is fab. For someone that don't like spiders - you did an amazing job
Helen xx
Jane said…
Wow fantastic I love that tree
Luv Jane xxx
Alex said…
AMAZING! My chalks are buried someplace..... You are making me think I need to find that someplace :)
Sugar said…
I hope I never see that tree in real life! Love it! really really pretty!
KC said…
the background is so cool! I love all the colors! and the image is wicked awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

Standing in the Clouds with ADfD

Hello! I have a new card with a lovely image from A Day for Daisies to share with you today. The digi is called Standing in the Clouds.

I colored this beauty with Zig Clean Color Markers and a water brush. Here's a close up.

My background was created with the Piasso Stencil from Dreamweaver (available from Stampendous), White VersaColor Ink (from Imagine), a sponge dauber, and Detail White Embossing Enamel. Then I sprayed the background with Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Frost. You'll see that better in the photo below. The entire background looks frosty. My sentiment is from the Soaring Sentiments set. I edged it and my card base with Bahama Blue and Danube Blue Memento Ink, which really matched her jacket perfectly.

See the pretty shimmer? I love the Sheer Shimmer Spritzes, and I encourage you to give them a try. I'll have another project for A Day for Daises soon, and our February challenge will be posted on Friday. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Creamy Cupcake

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is sharing different projects for birthdays. Who doesn't love to get a birthday card? My card for today is bold and bright!

Supplies:
Stampendous:
FMS4072: Creamy Cupcake Metal Stencil
Pen from any of the Stencil Duos sets

Other:
My Colors Cardstock: Coral Rose
Zig Clean Color Markers: 025, 033, 062, 080
Memories Mist: Blue Martini, Lavender Tea
Imagine: Turquoise Gem Versa Magic, Rose Bud Fireworks! Spray
Canson Watercolor Paper and Mixed Media Paper
Beacon Adheseives: Zip Dry Glue


Directions:
1. Using Canson Mixed Media Paper, tape down the stencil and trace it with the pen from a Stencil Duo set.

2. Take off the stencil and color in the image using the above listed Zig Clean Color Markers.

3. Cut out the cupcake leaving a border around the image.

4. On the watercolor paper, spray the Memories Mist and Fireworks! Spray.

5. Trim dried watercolor paper to 5" x 3 3/4."

6. Create the card base with Coral Rose cardstock cut to 5 1/2" x 8…

Mosaic Bird

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is posting some of our projects from the October catalog that feature a "Mosaic Madness" theme . Below, you will see my project that features the Mosaic Bird stamp. 


Supplies:
Stampendous:
W176: Mosaic Bird
SSCM5003: House Mouse Friend Wishes
DCP1006: Fitted Frames Set B
STF082: VersaFine in Onyx Black

Other:
Zig Clean Color Markers: 010, 020, 022, 023, 026, 031, 037, 038, 047, 048, 049, 050, 065, 068, 070, 080, 084, 202, 303
My Colors Cardstock: Ocean Side, Fireflies
Creative Impressions: Lavender Velvet Shimmer Ribbon- 70978
Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry Glue
Green Cardstock: unknown


Directions: 
1. Color Mosaic Bird image and fussy cut.

2. Cut the card base to 5 1/2" x 8" out of Ocean Side cardstock. Using a yellow-green cardstock, die cut the large "P" from the Fitted Frames set B, and the small "P" out of Fireflies cardstock.

3. Stamp a sentiment from the House Mouse Friend Wishes set using VersaFine ink in Onyx …