Skip to main content

Shrinky Dink Star Earrings

Hello! I have a fun and simple project to share with you today, and I hope it will inspire you to look at your stamps in a new way. I am a jewelry maker through and through. I went to college for it, and I've been making jewelry since I was probably about 4 years old. There is often not enough time for me to make any, and I feel a loss inside when it's been too long. Does that happen to you? Anyway, I decided to "feed the beast" so to speak with this quick pair of earrings that I made for my daughter. The White Rose Crafts DT is focusing on "feminine" projects this month, so that was my starting point.
Do you recognize those stars? They are from Lawn Fawn's Simply Celebrate stamp set. I stamped the image on to shrink plastic with StazOn ink and colored them with Sharpie markers. Nothing fancy, each star only uses a single marker color. Then I fussy cut them out (there are coordinating dies, but I don't have them), and punched a hole in the red star. Using my heat tool, I shrunk the stars down, making sure I had an acrylic block nearby to help flatten them when the shrinking was done.
To give you an idea of the size difference, here is the stamp next to the shrunken stars. Big difference, right? What stamps do you have that you can shrink to make jewelry with? I have been using Shrinky Dinks for jewelry for longer than I can remember, and it's always fun to look at my stamps and imagine how they would work as a necklace, or earrings, etc.
As sweet as the stars were on their own, I decided that the earrings needed a little something more. I found some great white tube beads that have a bit of faceting to them and a pearly finish, so they catch the light beautifully. To add some more movement, I added some teardrop beads that have pretty colors to bring out the colors in the stars.
My daughter loves them, and I do too. You can change the look of them easily by coloring the stars in different colors, and adding different beads. I'm planning on making more Shrinky Dink jewelry very soon.....I've got a fun idea that I came up with recently, I just hope it works! Be on the lookout for it. In the meantime, why not head over to White Rose Crafts LLC to see what wonderful new products have hit the shop. You can use the code "Alison 15" to save 15% off of your purchase! Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...