Skip to main content

Kid’s Art Bracelet Tutorial

It’s no secret that I love the art both of my kidlings make. But really, what mom doesn’t feel that way? So, I decided I needed to have a way to show off their art work, no matter where I am. I thought about a pendant, but…that would be only one piece of art. Then I thought of a bracelet…that could show case a lot of cool things! But how? Shrink plastic!!! What a fun project for you to create with your child(ren)! Wanna learn how? Well, I put it all together in a tutorial for you!

Phoenix is ready too! So let’s go! I started of by cutting my Shinky Dinks into 2” squares. The sheets I have are 8 1/2 x 11, so I was able to get 4 squares and a rectangle from a row.  I cut two rows, so I had 8 squares, and 2 rectangles (a good crafter wastes nothing! So be sure to use those rectangles!).  I pre-sanded one side of the shrink plastic before Phoenix started to color. You need to rough the stuff up a bit so that the color “sticks” better.

I let Phoenix use my EK Success watercolor markers, but with 20/20 hindsight, watercolor markers may not have been the best choice, as if his little hands got clammy while touching a piece, the inks would  get on his fingers, and he would leave fingerprints. A marker that dries quickly and completely is the best for this. We also used some Crayolas, and they were great.
I had Phoenix work on a piece of scrap paper. You can see here that he has started to draw a rainbow.

Here is his first piece. He chose to start with one of the rectangles. And you can see his smudgy little fingerprint on the face. After he finished coloring, I punched a hole in the top.

I put the finished little piece of art on to a couple of pot holders on my table.  This is where the real fun begins!

Please be sure to read your manufacturer’s instructions, as different brands may require different things. But for mine, I was able to use an embossing gun to heat up my tiny charm. See how it starts to curl? Have no fear. It’s supposed to do that. It will flatten itself out after it is done shrinking.

They tend to jump around a little bit, and I tend to flip mine over so that I make sure that it shrinks properly. I suggest keeping pliers or tweezers with you to do this, because those babies get hot!

And here you can see the huge difference in size. The before and after always wows me. And I love how much more vibrant colors are after the piece shrinks.
 
Here is Phoenix coloring the second rectangle (as seen the before and after shot). He really got a kick out of this project!

This is a train that he drew. I love this one. There is so much detail and so many fabulous colors! The texture you see is from the sanding that I did. You are looking at the side that was not sanded here. It’s still nice and shiny.

Phoenix really wanted to make me a Halloween charm, since he knows it’s my favorite holiday. So he drew this cute pumpkin, a bat, and a crescent moon.

This is the only example of when the sanded side will need to be facing out. My sweet boy wanted to write “I Love You,” so of course it will look reversed if you flipped it over to the shiny side.
   
Here are all the charms. I sprayed them all with a fixative, to ensure that the colors wouldn't run or fade.

And now it’s time to assemble them into a bracelet!

I got some chain, sized it to my wrist and added a toggle closure. Pretty basic stuff, but you will certainly need 2 pairs of pliers. Then I had to do a wee bit of calculating to figure out where I need to place the charms so that they sit on the bracelet equally apart.  Don’t make yourselves crazy people. It’s not about the spacing, it’s about those adorable charms.

I used jump rings to attach them, which is super simple and quick.  Look how sweet this bracelet is already!

Ta-da! It’s done! And may I just say, Phoenix and I are totally over the moon with how it turned out.

What a fun way to show off your little one’s art work!

Plus, the charms are super light, so it’s comfortable to wear. Wasn’t that fun? I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial, and that you will give this bracelet a go for yourselves! Your kidlings will be so proud, and so will you! Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!  

Comments

Jenn Borjeson said…
Alison, this is just awesome! Phoenix did a GREAT job, what a wonderful tutorial. :) xo
I want Nix and Rhi to color some charms for me!!!!!!! That is so totally wicked cool! Wonder if the teens would be interested!!!
Kathi said…
So fun. I bet he had a blast doing this with/for you!
Laura B said…
This is such a great idea! I especially love Phoenix's train charm.:)
THIS is wonderful in sooooooooooo many ways! I love it TONS!!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...