Skip to main content

Distress Ink Burn Technique

I was on the TTIC forums the other day (big surprise!) and we were discussing ways to distress paper. I had mentioned the Burnt Paper Technique developed by Ranger for Tim Holtz’s Distress Inks (cannot live w/out these!!!). Some of the girls didn’t know what it was… so I described the technique… but it’s always better to see pictures. So… here it is!

IMG_5306

So, let’s start with the colors. You need Antique Linen, Walnut Stain (or Vintage Photo), Fired Brick, and Black Soot. You can add a little Tea Dye too, if you’d like.

1. Tear the edges of your project (I will eventually put this little piece on a card)

2. Start with Antique Linen, buffing the edge of your project with the pad, or if you're comfortable with a sponge, you can use that. You will go in the deepest with the Antique Linen. All other colors will be less represented, if that makes sense. The sponge will give you a softer look too. I wanted to make what I was doing pretty harsh and obvious, for the purpose of this tutorial.

IMG_5307

IMG_5311

3. Take whichever of the 2 brown shades mentioned next. I used Walnut Stain. Work that into your edges, but allow the innermost portion of Antique Linen to show. I recommend working in a circular motion.

IMG_5312

4. Take your Fired Brick and work that in, again, leaving the inner most portion of Antique Linen, and Walnut Stain/Vintage Photo showing.

IMG_5313

5. Black Soot is last! You will use the least amount of Black Soot, but it will have the most impact. Don't use too much (unless you want your whole project to have the burnt look).

IMG_5314

I did add just a wee bit of Tea Dye, but I usually don’t. Again, I did this a bit heavier so it’d show better in my pictures. I advise that you do not work with straight edges. If the paper really was burnt, you'd have curled and uneven edges. So, rip your paper!!! Experiment with this for yourself! Have fun!!!

Comments

Jacqueline said…
great tutorial ali!! Love this look!!
Dani said…
Thanks for the great tutorial!!
Haylzee said…
I love how this turned out alison. great tutorial. =]
stampvamp said…
This is GREAT! I'm sorry I'm so late commenting. I'm so behind lately! Can't wait to try this stuff!
Kathi said…
Excellent tutorial. Such a cool end product.

I love the Distress Inks. I don't think I could craft without them.
Crazy Creations said…
Love this I have done a few Hugs Sarah

Popular posts from this blog

Standing in the Clouds with ADfD

Hello! I have a new card with a lovely image from A Day for Daisies to share with you today. The digi is called Standing in the Clouds.

I colored this beauty with Zig Clean Color Markers and a water brush. Here's a close up.

My background was created with the Piasso Stencil from Dreamweaver (available from Stampendous), White VersaColor Ink (from Imagine), a sponge dauber, and Detail White Embossing Enamel. Then I sprayed the background with Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Frost. You'll see that better in the photo below. The entire background looks frosty. My sentiment is from the Soaring Sentiments set. I edged it and my card base with Bahama Blue and Danube Blue Memento Ink, which really matched her jacket perfectly.

See the pretty shimmer? I love the Sheer Shimmer Spritzes, and I encourage you to give them a try. I'll have another project for A Day for Daises soon, and our February challenge will be posted on Friday. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Creamy Cupcake

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is sharing different projects for birthdays. Who doesn't love to get a birthday card? My card for today is bold and bright!

Supplies:
Stampendous:
FMS4072: Creamy Cupcake Metal Stencil
Pen from any of the Stencil Duos sets

Other:
My Colors Cardstock: Coral Rose
Zig Clean Color Markers: 025, 033, 062, 080
Memories Mist: Blue Martini, Lavender Tea
Imagine: Turquoise Gem Versa Magic, Rose Bud Fireworks! Spray
Canson Watercolor Paper and Mixed Media Paper
Beacon Adheseives: Zip Dry Glue


Directions:
1. Using Canson Mixed Media Paper, tape down the stencil and trace it with the pen from a Stencil Duo set.

2. Take off the stencil and color in the image using the above listed Zig Clean Color Markers.

3. Cut out the cupcake leaving a border around the image.

4. On the watercolor paper, spray the Memories Mist and Fireworks! Spray.

5. Trim dried watercolor paper to 5" x 3 3/4."

6. Create the card base with Coral Rose cardstock cut to 5 1/2" x 8…

Mosaic Bird

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is posting some of our projects from the October catalog that feature a "Mosaic Madness" theme . Below, you will see my project that features the Mosaic Bird stamp. 


Supplies:
Stampendous:
W176: Mosaic Bird
SSCM5003: House Mouse Friend Wishes
DCP1006: Fitted Frames Set B
STF082: VersaFine in Onyx Black

Other:
Zig Clean Color Markers: 010, 020, 022, 023, 026, 031, 037, 038, 047, 048, 049, 050, 065, 068, 070, 080, 084, 202, 303
My Colors Cardstock: Ocean Side, Fireflies
Creative Impressions: Lavender Velvet Shimmer Ribbon- 70978
Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry Glue
Green Cardstock: unknown


Directions: 
1. Color Mosaic Bird image and fussy cut.

2. Cut the card base to 5 1/2" x 8" out of Ocean Side cardstock. Using a yellow-green cardstock, die cut the large "P" from the Fitted Frames set B, and the small "P" out of Fireflies cardstock.

3. Stamp a sentiment from the House Mouse Friend Wishes set using VersaFine ink in Onyx …