Skip to main content

Remembering Aletha

Greetings, Friends. This post today is part of a very special blog hop. We are celebrating the life of an amazingly talented artist and friend. The crafting community lost Aletha Jane Williams on May 5, 2019. Those of us that worked with her on Design Teams or on Challenge Blogs all agree that she was one of the sweetest and most talented women we knew. We are not here to mourn her loss though. This hop is happening in conjunction with a very special celebration of her life and her art that her husband Bob is holding in her home city of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Please join us in honoring our incredibly creative friend Aletha.
My card features the "Remembering Aletha" Sprite, which Mitzi (owner and artist of Aurora Wings) created specifically for this hop. She is generously giving the digi away to all, over on her blog. This sweet Sprite looks so much like Aletha, and I know she would have been honored. If you download this digi for yourself, please be sure to give a huge "thank you" to Mitzi, and consider shopping over at Aurora Wings.
I colored her with Zig Clean Color Markers and fussy cut her out. I love that Mitzi gave her a painter's palette, so I decided to create my background with the palette from the Hero Arts My Monthly Hero May Kit. I colored and watercolored the background in to coordinate with the palette Aletha is holding.
I needed a special sentiment for this card, so I chose two from Altenew's Crafty Friends stamp set. If I was able to give this card to Aletha, the sentiment would have been perfect. She was truly an inspiration to so many other crafters. I needed to give this card some sparkle, so I used some sequins from Doodles Paper Playground's Spring Fling and Mardi Gras Parade Sparkle Blends. The colors worked perfectly with the rest of the card.
Losing someone you care for is never easy. And when you've touched the lives of so many, it seems that although the world understands, that void will never be filled and it's hard to cope. It makes me sad that we never got to meet in person, although we did chat on the phone a couple of times. Aletha blessed us with her talent and kindness, and I will try not to mourn, but to instead celebrate her life and creativity. Below is the full hop list. Thank you so much for joining us today, as we honor Aletha. Have an inspiring day.

Alison Heikkila (you are here)








Comments

Mimi said…
So beautiful Alison, Aletha will be smiling down now, following the hop and loving that so many who knew her have joined in :) I think she will be giving you a very special spirit hug for arranging this blog hop and a big thank you from me too. (Jane B) xxxxxx
DonnaMundinger said…
Thank you so much for organizing this special tribute for our dear friend Aletha, Alison! I'm sure she's smiling down on us now Love your project and the fab background you've created. Your coloring of Mitzi's special Sprite looks just like her. So sweet! xxD
I love how you chose the Mardi Gras palette for this special project, Alison. Aletha loved purple, so this is wonderful. The artist's palette background is perfect, too. Thank you again for organizing this blog hop so we could all do be a part of it! Have a beautiful weekend!! M xxx
Susan Sudbury said…
This is beautiful! Such a wonderful tribute for a talented lady....you are a true friend, and I'm sure she's smiling down right now ❤
Susan S.
Suzi McKenzie said…
Such a beautiful creation, love Aletha's Sprite, those painter's palettes make the perfect background. Thank you so much for organising this wonderful hop. Love and hugs
Suzi
xxx
marion said…
Love how you created the background, it is a perfect match to the image. Wonderfull card in design, glad to start here on a bloghop to celebrate Aletha, thank you so much for having me, x, Marion
Sonya van Stee said…
Beautifully said, Alison! I never had the pleasure of meeting her either online or in person, but she sounds like an amazing person that I would have loved! What a fabulous tribute in celebration of her life!
Creepy Glowbugg said…
Really touching and lovely creation in Aletha's honor. Thank you for putting this together so some of us could have some closure and give a colorful tribute to our dear friend.
Tazmadazz said…
Beautiful card to remember such a lovely woman!
Such a beautiful piece. Thank you vf for putting this together. Aretha I bet is smiling at you.💖💕🌹
Gail Hutchinson said…
What a beautiful tribute to Aletha. She was a beautiful colourist and a beautiful Facebook friend. Her talent will be missed. Thank you to Mitzi and the DT girls for this memory of her.
Laura S Reading said…
A fun and beautiful tribute to a friend and artist.
Jan said…
What a gorgeous card/tribute to Aletha. Hugs Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas in July with Imagine Crafts & Stencil Girl!

Hello! Have you heard? The Imagine AIRs have been hopping with Stencil Girl! If you have been here before, you know I loooove me some stencils, so this collaboration was very exciting for me! The teams are hopping for 3 consecutive Saturdays, and this is week 2. I have the entire list of hop links at the bottom of the post. Be sure you don't miss anyone! I decided to to create an extra large gift tag with my new stencils. Using red cardstock, I taped down the Journal Texture #8 Stencil  and inked it up with Golden Glitz Delicata ink . I promise you, this is the BEST gold ink you will ever use! The Journal stamp only has 2 diamonds on it (it's a 4x4" stencil), so after I inked up the first pair, I moved over the stencil, lined it up, and inked again. Next I wanted to do something textural with the Urban Insiders Star . So I took some evergreen cardstock, taped down the star, and slathered on some yummy Iridescent Green Creative Medium . After the medium dried, I ga

Our Favorites: ADfD Blog Hop

***Sorry for the late posting....Blogger doesn't always play nice! Today is the first day of our  ADFD Blog Hop  - a celebration of all of the beautiful images Tammy has created over the years. As a special surprise for Tammy, we have a combination of current and former DT members participating in the hop. Her inspiring art and generous heart have touched us all. We want to take a moment to show our gratitude and thank Tammy for the blessings and joys we have received as members of the ADFD DT. Our theme is “A Collection of ADFD Favorites” - so each DT member’s blog you visit will share something she has created with one of her favorite ADFD images.  The hop has   hidden prizes  - a commenter from each hidden prize stop will win a choice of one image from the ADFD Shop ! You won’t know where the prizes are hidden, so be sure to leave a comment at each stop of the Hop!  Our Blog Hop will run from 7:00 a.m. eastern standard time on Saturday, February 25, 2017 until 9:00 p.m. eas