Skip to main content

Lapis Lazuli Color Inspiration

Hello! Imagine chooses a color of the month of inspiration. For the month of April, it's Lapis, which is a beautiful blue. For my project, I took it a step further and used the gemstone Lapis Lazuli as my inspiration. The stone has veins of black and gold running through it, and sometimes has white speckles. 

I used watercolor paper for my focal layer and I started off by spritzing Paris Dusk Fireworks! spray kind of on it's side, across the paper, as opposed to straight on to it. This created that outward spray effect that I wanted. Then I spritzed some Desert Sand Fireworks! spray, but directly above the project for some dice drops.

Next I stamped the small poppy from the Pretty Poppies set by Stampendous in the lower left corner. I also added some leaves. I heat embossed the image with Gold embossing powder, and while my heat tool was still on, I carefully sprinkled some black in a few areas. Then, using my Wedding White irRESISTables Pico Embellisher, I colored in a few areas of the poppy to highlight them. After it dried, I applied a second coat to give it more opacity.

My card base was cut out of a deep blue cardstock, and I edged all 4 sides with Golden Glitz Delicata ink for some added shimmer. And that's it! It's fun to use outlined images in this way, and the inspiration of Lapis Lazuli I think is pretty apparent. I hope you'll give it a try!

Supplies:
Imagine:
Fireworks! Spray in Paris Dusk and Desert Sand
irRESISTables Pico Embellisher in Wedding White
Embossing Powder: Black, Gold
Delicata Ink in Golden Glitz
VersaMark Ink

Other:
Stampendous: Cling Pretty Poppies Stamp Set
Dark Blue cardstock
Artist's Loft Watercolor Paper

Skill Level: Intermediate
Time to Complete: 20 minutes, plus drying time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...