Skip to main content

By the Sea with Spellbinders and Stampendous

Greetings! Friends, today's post is a prime example of making lemonade out of lemons. Sometimes with art and with crafts, you have some oopsies that you've just got to figure out how you can "make it work." This was one of those projects. I think it turned out rather well in the end, though I am annoyed that I made such a silly mistake.

Let me backtrack for a moment. The Stampendous Design Team is collaborating in the Summer Road Trip with Spellbinders and we've also got a collaboration with May Arts this week. You'll find lots of great projects on the team's blogs using products from these awesome companies.

Spellbinders is having a great giveway during this hop with three daily winners and one grand prize winner! Check out the details here.

 For my card, I started off with the lovely Seashell Jar stamp. I used my Faber-Castell Aquarelle watercolor pencils to color the image in, and once it was dry I covered the entire glass jar with their Texture Gems.

Now, this is where I made my mistake. I let the image dry for a couple of hours, then using the super versatile Labels One die from Spellbinders, I ran the image through my die cut machine. I should have cut the image before I added the Texture Gems, as it hadn't completely cured...and got stuck to the cutting plate. I managed to salvage most of the image, but some parts of it stuck to the plate and couldn't be fixed. What a mistake! And it looked so pretty..... So I had to think....I busted out my irRESISTables spray from Imagine Crafts and started dripping it on to the image, really focusing on where the ripped areas were. Then I splattered it all over the image to add some consistency. 

Then, I broke out the magical Copper Luxe Mix for some sparkle and even more texture. That stuff is so yummy! I must get the other Luxe Mixes. I was good with how this all turned out, so I went on by cutting out another of the largest Labels One die with a watery-printed paper. I used a wee bit of a lovely white chiffon May Arts ribbon for an added somethin' somethin'. 

For my background, I used Andy Skinner's Industrial Cling Set with Gold Delicata ink. I also added a simple sentiment from the Life Words Perfectly Clear set. So...would you like some Lemonade? I hope that you've liked my little mistake-made-better, or that at the very least, you've learned to do all die cutting before you add Texture Gems. ;) Be sure to visit all of the Design Team members that are participating today. Their links are below. Thanks so much for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Stampendous said…
Now that is one sweet card! All those textures and layers are fantastic and I love your lemonade fix, it's SO Frantage! Thank you for sharing today!
Bunny said…
We've all made those OMG mistakes that make you sick. You certainly more than salvaged it. It turned out beautiful.
Unknown said…
I love love love sea shells and this card is a beautiful example of them . One of my favorite cards ever...I think your mistake turned into perfection!! Pennsylvania
TracyM #6773 said…
WOW - what a FABULOUS scene and card!!!
I think you have made an AMAZING recovery from what would have been a scary experience and would never have known if you hadn't shared about it!!! THANK YOU for sharing your CREATIVE INSPIRATION and your "oops" moment - they happen all-too-often and usually result in an even better project that originally planned :)
Liz O. said…
Beautiful card! Love all the elements, TFS!
Have a wonderful day!
Denise Bryant said…
Awesome card! Love the coloring and the shiny finish on the jar!
Heather said…
now that is interesting, what a neat looking card. love it.
Joan V said…
Wow,gorgeous card. So many great details on your scene. I would be devastated if anything happened to my die cutting machine. Whew, glad everything came out okay with you. Thanks for sharing.
Mistakes and all this is a gorgeous card!! LOVE how the jar looks like it is textured. It makes it look so much more realistic!!! LOVELOVEVLOVE!!! TFS!
Carolina Kathy said…
Amazing card! You definitely salvaged your card into a gorgeous piece! Thx for sharing.
cghundley said…
Wonderful work on
your card, love the
finished jar!
Carla from Utah
D.Ann C said…
Love the jar and you can't tell the misery you went through for it! -Florida
Viki Banaszak said…
I love the way you made the jar shine! It has a realistic look to it. I love all the texture you added too.
Carol said…
Great project! Thanks for sharing this inspiration!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com
Florida
Carol said…
Great project! Thanks for sharing this inspiration!

Carol B
ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com
Florida
Jean Bullock said…
What a wonderful card. I never would have know you made a mistake.
chignon said…
I love how you creatively fixed a mistake to make a terrific card! The gold background keeps drawing my eye as it is a perfect accompaniment to the sea-scene.
Tina V from Minnesota
Anonymous said…
Love it! Love the beach theme and the use of texture elements. Great job!
Christine Kiehl said…
Wonderful nautical card! How I love all things ocean related!
Carol said…
What a great recovery! No one would ever know it wasn't all planned that way. Love the sea like shine that makes your elements pop.
Belinda said…
I liked this card, thanks for your input.
Belinda said…
I liked this one, you know you never make mistakes when you are scrapbooking or card making.
Wonderful card!!! I'm in Colorado.
Lieve said…
Original project !
Anita Gambrell said…
Great card! Mistakes make it magical!
Robin B. said…
Fantastic card! I love the background and texture.
Rufus said…
That was a great save! In the end it turned out great. Love all your added texture.
Katie said…
This is beautiful! Love the coloring and the glossy jar, it really adds a lot to it. And the fragments/mica flakes of course. Thanks for sharing.

Katie B. (USA)
Dawn S. said…
This is gorgeous! I never would have known you had made a mistake! I am in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Sue D said…
Very cool. I like how you fixed your mistake.
Sue in Ohio

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...