Skip to main content

Feeling Distressed with Dreamweaver and Stampendous

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team has been feeling a little distressed....but in a good way! We are sharing all sorts of projects that share various distressing techniques. I used several techniques on my project. I love the distressed look, so this theme was right up my alley.


I started off with a piece of wood that was pre-cut to my background shape. I used Andy Skinner's Faux Rust Technique along with Deco Art paints. You can check out a video for that HERE. After I completed that step, which by the way, really looks like rust and made me very happy...I started on the oval which is made of chipboard.

I painted the oval using various Deco Art paints, and then I used the Gears stencil and Gold Embossing Paste. I used my embossing gun to quicken the drying process and because I wanted it to get bubbly. I painted Prussian Blue paint mixed with the Ultra Matte varnish to give a wash over the whole piece. I wiped it away from the gears, but not completely. Again, adding to the aging process.

Next, I used a second piece of chipboard to make my sentiment piece. I gave it a wash of Payne's Gray and stamped "Follow Your Art" from the Charmed Art Perfectly Clear set. Then I used the Seasonings Embossing Enamel (I love that stuff!) around the edge of the square. Then I sprinkled some on to some thin cardboard (think, gift box) and melted a big puddle of it. I used a hole punch to cut 4 circles which became my nail heads.

I needed something else, so I decided to use the same thin cardboard and I used a rectangular Spellbinders die to make it. Then I used the super cool Spoonful of Rust embossing Plus Kit. I just dumped it all over the cardboard, and heated it from the bottom with my embossing gun. Then I glued everything down with Glue Dots and a couple of foam dots for dimension. I drilled the holes at the top with my drill, and added some bronze colored copper wire. Now I just need to hang it up! Below is the list of gals posting along with me today. Please be sure to give them all a visit. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!
Alison Heikkila (that's me!)

Comments

Jean said…
Love the color and texture!
Louise said…
Great piece Alison! Love all the techniques you combined!
Laurinda said…
I am loving those rusty bits.
I love this beautiful piece!! I am absolutely in love with these distressing techniques and can't wait to get the stuff to do it! THanks for sharing!
Lea said…
Love this, Alison! It really does look rusty and vintage and right up my alley! Oh, and your nail heads look fab! They finished it off perfectly!
Mary Holshouser said…
Love this
I would hang something like this on my front door.
It would tell people that I like to create and beautify
thanks for sharing a wonderful project.
Illinois
Stampendous said…
AWESOME! Love, love, love the patina gear panel and fantastic rust painted plaque, it did turn out like a rusted piece!
TracyM #6773 said…
FABULOUS piece!!!
LOVE the colours and textures of the background and each element embellishing it - THANK YOU for sharing!!!
Lyn Bernatovich said…
This is a fun piece. I like the browns and blues.
Sue D said…
Very cool--I like how you made the gears.
sue in Ohio
Viki Banaszak said…
This is so full of texture and beautiful color. I would be so happy to have that in my studio. It looks awesome.
D.Ann C said…
SUCH a cool piece! I'm in love with the gears on that oval!
willireb said…
What a great piece. The colors really work together and the texture add so much. I'd love to give these techniques a try.
Karen L K said…
What a great looking project! I love each different piece and it was interesting to see how you made each part.

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...