Skip to main content

Smooth Sailing Tile

Hello Friends! I am excited to share a new project with you today…one that is partially responsible for the return of my lost mojo. I have become rather obsessed with decorating 4x4 and 6x6 travertine tiles. The kind you get at Home Depot or Lowes. I’ve made many of them in the past week, and I will be sharing a few with you. Today’s tile is one that I used stamps with. Bombshell Stamps!

When I had purchased my first pack of tiles, it was sealed. I didn’t think anything of it…it’s supposed to be sealed. But, at the store, there were many, many opened packs. Which is why I grabbed a sealed one. Who wants an open pack, anyway? Well, upon opening it, I found that several of the tiles had huge holes in them. Not at all conducive to the original project I had intended them for (more on that in another post!). My husband came up with a rather clever idea for sealing some of the smaller holes…but then there was this one. Who’s hole is actually rather lovely. It has a great shimmer to it, and the shape is so cool. So I decided to work with the hole, rather than against it. And it just screamed Homeward Bound to me, which is the set I used from Bombshell.

I stamped all of my images on tissue paper with StazOn. Then, I colored them all in with Copics. Yes, Copics. I really didn’t have any bleeding. As long as the ink is really dry, you are usually pretty safe. Next, I tore around the images; I didn’t want very defined edges. Applied Mod Podge to the tile. Added my images. More with the Mod Podge. I repeated that 3 times. And lastly, I sprayed the tile with an acrylic matte sealer. Now I just need to add a hook to the back.

See how cool that hole is? It would have been a crime to hide it or seal it up. I am really happy with the outcome. And it was so much fun to make! Ok. I’m off to make some more! Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Comments

Kathi said…
Wow! This is absolutely fabulous!

I love all the texture and that you used some of the small images too.
Totally freakin awesome dude!! LOVE This!!! So when am I gonna get mine!!!!
Kewl Beans! Love how the hole works in this project. This has turned into one of my favorite stamp sets and you just gave me another use for it.
Alison- STUNNING!!! Just STUNNING!!!! Can I ask what sealer you use? I am on the hunt for sealers :) Thanks!
Alison- STUNNING!!! Just STUNNING!!!! Can I ask what sealer you use? I am on the hunt for sealers :) Thanks!
kitchen taps said…
Hello
Good piece of data that you've received on this web site article. Appreciate it!
With Best Wishes
bedroom | sofa | kitchen | bathroom | living room

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Hop and Collaboration: Day 5

Hello!  All of this week, the  Stampendous  and  Dreamweaver  teams have been playing with a mix of their products, along with some wonderful, SAND-ABLE papers from  Core'dinations . We've sanded our way to the "core" of all things Christmas and the Holiday season. ***If you are looking for my Day 17 post for the 31 Days of Halloween, please scroll down to my next post.*** Of course, there are prizes, and we are giving away the best...this time with a mix of fun  Core'dinations products as well. To be one of three prize package winners, follow the posted link lists from each day, leave comments, and winners will be selected from these comments at the beginning of next week.  I've been sharing a few car featuring the Stampendous set, Forest Friends . It's such a sweet set. I was going through my Dreamweaver Stencils, and I came across the Open X-Mas Tree . Then it came to me. Remember the part in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, when the song Silv...

Echo Park Blog Hop with Imagine

Greetings! This is my second post for the day. This one is not part of the 31 Days of Halloween, but rather a super-duper blog hop that the Artists in Residence for Imagine are doing with Echo Park . So if you're here for my Day 7 project, please check out the post HERE . But before you do that, scroll on to check out this one. There are prizes up for grabs, so be sure to check out the Imagine Blog as well as the Echo Park Blogs for details. I created my background by applying Dandelion and Tangelo Memento Ink to my brayer. Then I sprayed it with Ink Potion No. 9 to help the colors blend and to act as an extender to keep the inks wet longer. After I rolled the colors out on to watercolor paper and let it dry, I stamped the lovely doily-like image from Echo Park's Simply Sweet Stamp Set with Grape Jelly Memento. I also received the super pretty Heart Doily Designer Die  which I used with a true purple cardstock. But it needed something....and in rolls the super fabul...

Deco Art and Andy Skinner Blog Hop Finale

Hello! It's time for the finale of the DecoArt and Stampendous blog hop. Have you enjoyed yourself this week? I bet you've got some new techniques that you want to try. I know I do! I am super stoked about my project for today. And it solves a dilemma that we've had in my kids' room for a while. What you see above is 2 pieces of PVC. And some fab DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics ! So, what am I doing with PVC, you ask? Well, my mom bought my son a light saber(Darth Vader's) for Christmas, and he wanted to display it, but we weren't really sure where in his room, and how. I wanted something cooler than hooks, and we thought it would be neat to have the light saber vertical, instead of horizontal. Plus, there was a fab spot for it if it hung in that direction. So, my husband came up with the PVC pip idea, and I altered the pieces. The end cap holds the base, and the small piece of pipe holds up near the end. And the 2 pieces are spaced out enough so that...