Skip to main content

Ombre Ornament Tutorial

Hello! Just recently, I finished filling out the Color Swatch Chat by fellow Imagine Artist in Residence Neva Cole. I realized a few things. Number one, I need more yellow and purple ink. Number two, it would be fun to create something with an ombre effect using some of the colors that I have. Since we have a bit of a Christmas in July theme going on the Imagine Blog, I decided to use one of Stampendous' newest Stencil Duos, the Ornament Duo.

Supplies:
Imagine
Gray Flannel Memento
Black and Cement Versa Color
Silvery Shimmer Delicata
Sponge Daubers

Other
Stampendous: Ornament Duo, Holly Scroll Metal Stencil, Mixed Media Paper
Blank White Card Base
Black Cardstock
Silver Wired Ribbon
Tape
Permanent Adhesive

Directions: 

1. Select 3 colors of ink that will blend well together. They do not necessarily have to be the same type (I used VersaColor and Memento, for example), but you want the styles to be similar. So, don't use StazOn with VersaColor. Water clan up with water clean up, solvent with solvent. Memento dries quickly, so I new I would do my blending with the VersaColors.

2. Once you've got your inks, tape down the geometric pattern stencil to your paper, and the ornament on top. Mask off the ornament top, as we'll be inking that up later.

3. Starting with the lightest color of ink (in my case, it was Cement), apply the ink to one side of the ornament with a sponge dauber. I concentrated a bit more ink in the upper left area.

4. Move on to the mid-range color, in my case this was Gray Flannel Memento. Using a second dauber, apply this color. You can see from the above photo that I created a bit of an arc to mimic the way light hits a real round ornament. When I was satisfied with this layer, I went back to my Cement ink to blend the two colors together a bit. I had to use the Cement because it stays wet longer, since it's a Pigment Ink as opposed to the dye based ink of Memento.

5. Ink the darkest shade you've chosen with a third dauber. I used Black VersaColor. I used this color to blend the Gray Flannel too. You may find that you need to go over some sections again and re-blend, and that's ok. Take time to get the colors to look seamless.

6. At this point, remove all of the tape except the pieces at the top, and covering the ornament topper. This will create a hinge for you to view (and perhaps fix) the blending. When you are satisfied with your work, you can remove the tape and stencils.

7. Re-tape the ornament stencil down and mask off the top of the ball, leaving just the topper exposed. Ink the topper using Silvery Shimmer Delicata Ink. Remove the tape and stencil, and fussy cut the image out.

8. Tape a background stencil to black cardstock. I used the Holly Scroll stencil with Shimmery Silver Delicata, applied with another dauber. Trim the edges after you're done stenciling so that there is no border.

9. Taking the blank card base, Rub Silvery Shimmer ink across all four sides, making about a 1/4" border. Then, go over all four edges again with Gray Flannel, keeping the border about half the width of the original.

10. Glue the black background to the card base, then the wired ribbon to create a hook for the ornament and lastly, the ornament.

Ta-da! A fun but classy holiday card with an ombre look. Thanks for checking out my tutorial!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing in the Clouds with ADfD

Hello! I have a new card with a lovely image from A Day for Daisies to share with you today. The digi is called Standing in the Clouds.

I colored this beauty with Zig Clean Color Markers and a water brush. Here's a close up.

My background was created with the Piasso Stencil from Dreamweaver (available from Stampendous), White VersaColor Ink (from Imagine), a sponge dauber, and Detail White Embossing Enamel. Then I sprayed the background with Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Frost. You'll see that better in the photo below. The entire background looks frosty. My sentiment is from the Soaring Sentiments set. I edged it and my card base with Bahama Blue and Danube Blue Memento Ink, which really matched her jacket perfectly.

See the pretty shimmer? I love the Sheer Shimmer Spritzes, and I encourage you to give them a try. I'll have another project for A Day for Daises soon, and our February challenge will be posted on Friday. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Creamy Cupcake

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is sharing different projects for birthdays. Who doesn't love to get a birthday card? My card for today is bold and bright!

Supplies:
Stampendous:
FMS4072: Creamy Cupcake Metal Stencil
Pen from any of the Stencil Duos sets

Other:
My Colors Cardstock: Coral Rose
Zig Clean Color Markers: 025, 033, 062, 080
Memories Mist: Blue Martini, Lavender Tea
Imagine: Turquoise Gem Versa Magic, Rose Bud Fireworks! Spray
Canson Watercolor Paper and Mixed Media Paper
Beacon Adheseives: Zip Dry Glue


Directions:
1. Using Canson Mixed Media Paper, tape down the stencil and trace it with the pen from a Stencil Duo set.

2. Take off the stencil and color in the image using the above listed Zig Clean Color Markers.

3. Cut out the cupcake leaving a border around the image.

4. On the watercolor paper, spray the Memories Mist and Fireworks! Spray.

5. Trim dried watercolor paper to 5" x 3 3/4."

6. Create the card base with Coral Rose cardstock cut to 5 1/2" x 8…

Mosaic Bird

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is posting some of our projects from the October catalog that feature a "Mosaic Madness" theme . Below, you will see my project that features the Mosaic Bird stamp. 


Supplies:
Stampendous:
W176: Mosaic Bird
SSCM5003: House Mouse Friend Wishes
DCP1006: Fitted Frames Set B
STF082: VersaFine in Onyx Black

Other:
Zig Clean Color Markers: 010, 020, 022, 023, 026, 031, 037, 038, 047, 048, 049, 050, 065, 068, 070, 080, 084, 202, 303
My Colors Cardstock: Ocean Side, Fireflies
Creative Impressions: Lavender Velvet Shimmer Ribbon- 70978
Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry Glue
Green Cardstock: unknown


Directions: 
1. Color Mosaic Bird image and fussy cut.

2. Cut the card base to 5 1/2" x 8" out of Ocean Side cardstock. Using a yellow-green cardstock, die cut the large "P" from the Fitted Frames set B, and the small "P" out of Fireflies cardstock.

3. Stamp a sentiment from the House Mouse Friend Wishes set using VersaFine ink in Onyx …