Skip to main content

The Cardinal: Day 12 of the S&S 12 Days of Christmas

Hello bloggy friends! Welcome to the 12th day of the Smeared & Smudged 12 Days of Christmas. I cannot believe this is the end! But have no fear, I will of course be around with plenty of new things…including some jewelry! But on to today’s card. I made this for a commission I had from Phoenix’s former teacher. She and I have a mutual love and respect for cardinals, so there had to be one in each of her cards (the other card I had made for her was in the beginning of the month). This one is a bit more rustic than the first card.

I had done a few versions, each featuring different papers where the green plaid is. But all were very…log-cabin-y, if you catch my drift.

The cardinal is perched quite regally on the boughs of holly, as he should be. They are such beautiful birds. Cardinals are the main way my Dad comes to visit me. For example (and there are many, many examples), as soon as I found out I was pregnant with Rhiannon, a cardinal couple made their nest on my porch in our wisteria vine. There were 3 babies, and they all flourished. It was my Dad’s way of congratulating us. That had never happened before or since that singular time. I still have the nest. <3

I hope you have enjoyed the 12 Days of Christmas. I wish I had more time to hop around! But thank you so very much to those of you that came by to visit. Your words mean so much to me, and in the new year, I plan on reciprocating. You all rock my socks, and I so enjoy seeing your creations. Thank you for inspiring me, and I hope I have inspired you. Be sure to visit the rest of the Jolly Bloggers, one last time. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Yule, etc. Thank you for stopping by!!!

Comments

MaRyKaY said…
what a sweet story to go along with your card today. thank you for sharing that is very awesome and made my morning.
your card is beautiful.
Hope you have a safe and merry christmas
Laura B said…
Really beautiful! I've seen some cardinal stamps recently and they made me think of you.:) Oh, and thanks for the super cute card you sent! You and your family are so sweet! *hugs*
Jane said…
A lovely card Alison
Luv Jane xxx
ike said…
Beautiful card and such a wonderful tale. I have never actually seen one of these birds - more's the pity. How wonderful to have the nest :-) Merry Christmas :-)
Luv
Ike xxx
monique said…
very beautiful, love the card, merry christmas
Beautiful card Alison and a lovely story :)
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas
Jamie said…
Very pretty card! Happy Holidays!
This is lovely. Cardinals are a fav of mine and I have a pair in my backyard year round.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Package

Hello! This week, the Stampendous Design Team will be sharing projects that fit the theme, "Dear Santa, I've Been Good!" I used the sweet Christmas Package stencil (which frankly, can be used for plenty of other occasions too!), and a scrap I had leftover from the Chevron Stencil. Check out the full tutorial below.



Supplies:
Stampendous: 
DWLL466: Christmas Package
DWLX7026: Chevron Stencil
MGK01: Fall Micro Glitter Kit
MGK02: Christmas Micro Glitter Kit
DWDGP: Gold Embossing Paste
DWDGWP: Glossy White Embossing Paste
DWDPK: Palette Knife
FX71: Sticky Panels

Other: 
My Colors Cardstock: Dare Devil, Parrot
Molotow: 2mm Round Pen in Signal White
EK Success: Corner Rounder
Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry

Directions:
1. Tape Christmas Package stencil to Dare Devil cardstock. Tape off the bow so that you don't get paste on it. Paste the box with your Palette Knife and Glossy White Embossing Paste. Remove stencil to wash. While the paste is still wet, sprinkle Lime Micro Glitter from the Hal…

Standing in the Clouds with ADfD

Hello! I have a new card with a lovely image from A Day for Daisies to share with you today. The digi is called Standing in the Clouds.

I colored this beauty with Zig Clean Color Markers and a water brush. Here's a close up.

My background was created with the Piasso Stencil from Dreamweaver (available from Stampendous), White VersaColor Ink (from Imagine), a sponge dauber, and Detail White Embossing Enamel. Then I sprayed the background with Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Frost. You'll see that better in the photo below. The entire background looks frosty. My sentiment is from the Soaring Sentiments set. I edged it and my card base with Bahama Blue and Danube Blue Memento Ink, which really matched her jacket perfectly.

See the pretty shimmer? I love the Sheer Shimmer Spritzes, and I encourage you to give them a try. I'll have another project for A Day for Daises soon, and our February challenge will be posted on Friday. Thanks for stopping by. Have an inspiring day!

Creamy Cupcake

Hello! This week, the Stampendous team is sharing different projects for birthdays. Who doesn't love to get a birthday card? My card for today is bold and bright!

Supplies:
Stampendous:
FMS4072: Creamy Cupcake Metal Stencil
Pen from any of the Stencil Duos sets

Other:
My Colors Cardstock: Coral Rose
Zig Clean Color Markers: 025, 033, 062, 080
Memories Mist: Blue Martini, Lavender Tea
Imagine: Turquoise Gem Versa Magic, Rose Bud Fireworks! Spray
Canson Watercolor Paper and Mixed Media Paper
Beacon Adheseives: Zip Dry Glue


Directions:
1. Using Canson Mixed Media Paper, tape down the stencil and trace it with the pen from a Stencil Duo set.

2. Take off the stencil and color in the image using the above listed Zig Clean Color Markers.

3. Cut out the cupcake leaving a border around the image.

4. On the watercolor paper, spray the Memories Mist and Fireworks! Spray.

5. Trim dried watercolor paper to 5" x 3 3/4."

6. Create the card base with Coral Rose cardstock cut to 5 1/2" x 8…